Why are accountants always so calm, composed, and methodical? They have strong internal controls. Any good accountant interview needs a good accounting joke. Kim Benjamin has been working with the SZ Team since May of 2017. Ever since that fateful day when Kim responded to our NextDoor post, she has been a wonderful friend, colleague, and neighbor. Kim is a third generation Seattleite, and though she has lived on MI for 11 years, her grandparents moved here in the 70s where it was her second home as a child.
1) What's your favorite number?
13 – all my sports jerseys had my favorite number on it!
2) Organization is a necessary skill to master when providing accounting services. What advice do you have for people to employ more organization in our daily lives?
We typically have so many things going on in our lives, it can be helpful to make a “To-Do” list and add to it as things pop-up. Focusing on completing listed tasks helps to stay organized and crossing items off the list when finished also provides a feeling of accomplishment.
3) How did you discover your passion?
I’ve always been detail-oriented and enjoyed working with finances. Growing up in my family’s business, I would set up the accounting programs and management software. I found that I liked reviewing reports and figuring out how to make improvements within the business by analyzing and tracking changes. Over time, other companies in our industry would call me asking for assistance on setting up or “fixing” their accounting & business management processes, and it made me realize that I had a knack for running businesses. I discovered that I really like the challenge of fixing the mess!
4) What was a significant lesson you learned along the way?
Garbage in, garbage out. You have to be accurate & consistent in what you are tracking; otherwise, the reports will not give an appropriate picture of how you are doing. How can you make a good decision if you don’t have the correct information (in business and in life)?
5) What is one life rule you live by?
Always do the right thing.
6) As a long-time Mercer Island resident, what is your favorite aspect of this community?
Islanders typically support each other and our local businesses – it is a very welcoming community.
7) Tell me something people may not know about you?
When I “grow up” I want to run a doggie daycare.
8) What is the best advice you’ve received while working with the SZ Team?
It’s important to take care of yourself physically, mentally and emotionally.
9) Do you have any strange fears?
Being trapped in a tiny space (like being buried alive).
10) What is your proudest moment?
Too many moments to list just one. It sounds corny but I really do feel blessed for everything in my life.